Karent Gracey

Karent Gracey

Karen Gracey
Division Administrator, Dermatology

What is your role at UCLA?
Division Administrator, Dermatology

Before joining UCLA, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
Bringing a group of high school students from Russia (Georgia) to study English in the US for 8 weeks over the summer.

How do you balance your career at UCLA and family?
Right now, I don’t! I am currently pursuing an advanced degree in a Master of Public Administration program, and have no personal life at the moment. It is all about work and schoolwork when I get home. Fortunately, I commute by bus, so I can study while commuting.

What was your first impression of UCLA? Has it changed at all over the course of your time at UCLA?
How beautiful, accessible and well-kept it is! I did not initially notice how much construction is constantly going on here. But that is not surprising since I was told UCLA stands for: Under Construction, Like Always!

What’s your favorite aspect of your job?
Helping people to get on a certain career path and employing them!

When are you the most productive and why?
Early morning or after hours when no one is around. Then I am able to focus without constant interruptions.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? What is your proudest moment at UCLA?
Raising an incredible daughter mostly as a single parent. And receiving a lifetime President’s Volunteer Service Award from Barack Obama.

If you could change one thing about UCLA, what would it be?
Better communication and cooperation within divisions and among departments.

Tell us about someone who has mentored or influenced you the most in your career path. In what way did he/she/they shape your decisions?
When I was working with a network marketing company, the Diamond Sales Director I worked with encouraged me to always keep feeding my mind with quality books and keep learning and growing. What I have gained from continually learning has helped me through many difficult times.

What do you think is the most important quality you need to have for success in UCLA or in general?
Perserverance!

What would you tell someone who is applying for a job in UCLA?
Try to get an informational interview with someone in the area you are interested in, to find out more about what it is really like.

Share with us something about you that most people don’t know but you would like them to.
I recently became a General Class licensed radio operator.

How has AMG impacted your professional growth and development?
AMG offers many opportunities for continued growth and personal development. I appreciate all they have to offer, and take advantage of the opportunities as much as I can. I especially enjoy the networking with folks from all different areas. Even if you cannot run for office, working on committees is also helpful. I cherish all the experiences I had working with the committee that hosted the ABOG conference at UCLA in 2014, who were mostly other AMG members!